Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

A Brief History--

My first memory!

After that I remember:

-- being the first kid in the first grade to help the other kids learn how to read. (I especially remember the fact that the first word I taught to myself was "groceries" after thinking it was gross cherries)

--going on vacation to Miami just after my younger sister Melantha was born and going into a head shop in Miami and wondering what that wierd smell was (it was incense burning).

--being bullied by the crazy kid across the street (who was a friend until I threw a brick at him as a joke but he didn't think it was so funny) and getting punched in the nose when he finally caught me alone in the front yard one day.

--getting dropped off from school one day by a friend who was richer than we were and pretending to go into the neighbor's house across the street because it was nicer than ours. (It was brick and ours had wood siding.)

--it was On December 2, 1972, 72,000 people gathered at Legion Field to watch Alabama and Auburn play for the 37th time in their history. Auburn entered the game ranked ninth in the nation, while the Crimson Tide was ranked second with a 10-0 record. And it was: "Punt, Bama. Punt!" I remember this because the lesbian Dawn who lived next to us came out of the house screaming, "War Eagle!" at the top of her lungs! This was way before I developed my passion for the Auburn Tigers even though I used to have Pat Sullivan's number 7 on my 5th grade notebooks.

--being in the Boy Scouts and going on weekend jamborees and seeing the cute older guys in my troop naked in the shower which led to . . .

--when I first realized that I liked boys and not girls. It was in the 7th grade and I became the manager of the football and basketball teams which allowed me private "access" to the locker rooms. (I could not believe what I was seeing!) Oh my!

--taking a test in P.E. Yeah, for some strange reason in 7th grade we got a new coach and they made him do academic stuff too. (The one I remember may have had an influence on my love for college football at an early age: We had to list all of the major conferences and list all teams in each conference.) Remember this is back when they were: ACC, SEC, Big 8, Pac 10, SWC, Big 10 and WAC and the independents. Time does fly!

--relocating towns during the 9th grade. (Even though I was in the new town during 1st through 3rd grades and still remembered some of my classmates.)

--having crushes on several of my male classmates while pretending to have a girlfriend. I did more than just pretend, as I had a date to the homecoming dance and the prom.

--being elected Senior Class President! It validated my high school experience! Yeah, I was popular and also in the top of my class academically. I graduated Salutatorian by only 1/100th of a percentage point to a girl who took basic classes while I took college prep classes. Yeah, I am bitter about that one!

--going to college at Auburn.

(Still pretending to not be gay!)

--moving into my first apartment at Auburn that connected bathrooms with another apartment and meeting the bathroom roommate who was there with his high school friends who were my neighbors. (we got along great and became close friends)

--going to the frat rushes just for the free booze and parties and ended up all pledging the nerd fraternity on campus just because they were the only ones who gave us invitations.

--lusting after my new frat brother, Keith, who always teased me by rubbing my shoulders and humping my butt, cause it was cool to act gay if you weren't and you were in a frat at Auburn. (I didn't mind at ALL!).

Fast forward to after leaving college and going into the real world. Now I remember:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?