Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

When did comedy become drama?

Here I sit in front of the boob tube and I get sucked right into watching the People's Choice Awards on CBS tonight. I tried to watch something else, I really did!

There were some A-List celebrities and I love to keep up with the Hollywood pop culture scene so that when Bro-in-law asks me who that person is I can tell him! I have to do that alot. He asked who the Host was? I told him it was Craig Ferguson. He asked, "Who is that?" I shrugged before I told him he came on after David Letterman. It was kinda' funny.

So what prompted this blog entry was the fact that when they announced the nominees for best TV drama it included my favorite Sunday night guilty pleasure, "Desperate Housewives". Not comedy, but drama. When did this show that was nominated for a Best Comedy Emmy last year suddenly become a Drama?

I was confused. No wonder it didn't win. It was nominated in the wrong category.

And then at the end of the show they displayed the rules in the credits. The winners were notified in advance and who was nominated was based on a marketing survey by a marketing company no doubt somehow related to CBS/Viacom. (Most of the presenters and accepting winners were from the CBS family of networks and studios.) Hmm!

And then the final screen on the TV: Proctor and Gamble Productions.

How many of you knew that the consumer products company had such a division? (The origin of soap operas to sell laundry detergent to "Desperate Housewives".)

No wonder I feel like the corporations are slowly taking our country from us. Be afraid!

The ranting above took a slight tangent, (imagine that). The point of the post was to point out the whole manufactured Giant Marketing Awards Show that was this awards show. And it was the 39th Annual Show.

Should I laugh or cry?

Comments:
If you can't decide to laugh or cry, always laugh. Crying just gives it importance that it really doesn't deserve.
 
Hell - if we can manafacture Valentines Day, we can do a butt load of award shows!

Laughing is always the best bet - makes people wonder what you have been up to...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?